Needles, Wool, Mistakes, Advice and the One Tip - Jenny Barnett
1. What are your favourite needles to use?
I use a 36 triangle for forming shapes, then a 38 star for joining parts and fine-tuning.
2. What is your favourite type of wool to work with?
Shetland wool tops, and also Bergschaf wool batts.
3. What is the worst piece of advice you keep hearing for needle felters?
Worst advice maybe 'Only use 'such and such' needles for fibres'. I thinks its good to experiment as much as you can yourself and discover your own preferences.
4. What common mistakes do people make when they start out?
Breaking needles, easily done when you get carried away, bending the needles sideways. Also piercing skin! Just keep your eyes on the wool and hold it on top of the sponge or felting pad.
5. What is the one thing a beginner could learn today that would make a difference to their work?
Slow down, relax and keep going... the more you needle felt, the more your project will firm up, and become more detailed and smooth.